Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Marley (aka the Big Yellow Dog that Showed Up on our Porch)...and Me

Last Saturday night, I was sitting on the couch watching tv with the dogs....I should pause here to emphasize the importance of not letting envy control you life. Coveting is a sin and besides that, living such a glamourous, wild, and crazy lifestyle like mine is certainly not for the weak....but I digress... So, we're sitting there when all of a sudden, this big nose appears in my window. And then as quickly as it appeared, it was gone. I looked out trying to find the person that went with this little guy and upon finding none, I threw on the first pair of shoes I could find and a coat and went outside to investigate. After all, it had been snowing all day long that day, and I sensed the possibility of a stray animal roaming the freezing streets all night. Well, not on my watch.



Off I go, following the little paw prints as they cut across our yard and down the street. And there he was - three houses down. Our neighbor, Steve, was getting into his car to go pick up his sister who had broken down, and when he turned around he was greeted with a cold wet nose in the drivers seat! He drew the fella' out of the car and was standing in the middle of the street at the point that I came upon the scene, ready to nab the perp! I hollered "Is that your dog?" No. Dang. I had a bad feeling...but not as bad as Steve who was trying with all of the man strength within him to ward off the prowess of this male canine Cleopatra. That's right, it was going to take more than just a very determined grown man to win a dance-off with the unneutered yellow labrador retriever. At one point, Humpster was holding on to Steve's arm so tightly trying to get it on that when Steve lifted his arm to try to detach furry love monster, furry HELD ON. And there they stood, in the middle of the snowy street with nothing more than a street light illuminating their moment together as Steve raised his arm and Humpster held dangling tightly to his new found love buddy.



As if this sight wasn't enough on it's own merit, there is one more player in this production. Steve's 9 year old son, Mason, was standing there watching the whole thing! The next day, Steve said Mason had so much fun telling people all day long about the dog that kept trying to dance with daddy! He was laughing so hysterically that he could barely tell the story. Now THAT is what life is all about!

Well, needless to say, Marley ended up staying with us until Monday since the Humane Society wasn't open until then and there was no way I was going to surrender this cutie to the pound. So, we filled a large crate we had out in the garage with a fluffy comforter, put another over the top, and then turned on a warm toasty ceramic heater for him. I do not lie when I tell you that was a horrible weekend for both me and my hubby - dogs are supposed to be in the house with you...hanging with the fam...but because our fur kids are just mere little weiners, we couldn't risk it. It was torture - we thought Monday would never get there....but alas, it finally did show up one morning a couple of days later.

I won't go in to the lavish details of us determining that whoever owned this lump of adorable furriness wasn't worthy. We had posted on craigslist, notified the humane society, AND the animal shelter. No takers - they probably saw this as their blessing in disguise. And we wouldn't want to take that away from them afterall, so we took him to the Humane Society. They had to hold on to him for a certain amount of days just in case. Of course, no one came looking. People stink. So, now he's up for adoption and someone is going to get very lucky by choosing this guy for your own! You can go to the (Genesee County) Human Society website to see him (that's here in Michigan) - He's #11708 "Kipper". Until he gets his new home, we'll be keeping an eye out for him. He's our new fur-buddy.

Ok, I'm outta' here - Gotta' watch my American Idol and root for Matt from Kalamazoo. Two hours of Idol happiness...this Princess is in heaven! You'll be hearing from me after the show -

Ta Ta Commoners.....

2 comments:

Benjamin said...

They ever find a home for this little guy? I looked at the photo of him and he is a good looking dog! Great article Rhonda!1

B and H said...

I think that is so funny because Ben and I always find stray dogs and taking them in....we have chased many in the snow and even barefoot. One time we found the cuttest little puppy and had him for a day until we found the owneres. Im glad that there are people out there who take in dogs :)
Heather D.