Saturday, January 24, 2009

Legally Disappointed *sigh*



Anyone who knows me very well knows (or at least isn't at all surprised) that my all-time favorite movie, without question, is Legally Blonde. Even my closest friends and family refuse to watch it with me because I just can't help but recite the lines along with the movie...So, it only seemed appropriate that I pay homage to my favorite movie by going to see the live production "Legally Blonde the Musical" - it was coming to the Wharton Center at MSU in East Lansing. Going was actually the idea of Kimmy, my friend genius. She is my 'Fabulous Equal' and, while she had not even seen the movie yet (WHAT???) and had to dig deep to find something pink to wear to the big night, we are fortunate to share a true appreciation of all things sparkly. I have to say up front that I was prepared to be a little disappointed with the musical, only because it's another visual medium, versus reading the book and then seeing either a play or movie. I already had one visual of the story and was now going to have to make some compromises in order to enjoy another visual of the same story, since you can't do on stage all of the things you can do in the movies. But I was very excited to get to see the musical because, well...hello??? It's a musical - Who DOESN'T love musicals? That's just silly. So, the big night finally arrived - we met at a little Mexican restaurant on campus - Los Quatros Amigos. DEEELISH! And how excited was I to find them using QUESO BLANCO (that's white cheese for those of you who don't speak fluent espanish). If you have never had this white cheese, you are missing out! It has the yummiest flavor and the texture is fun too (I mean, if cheese texture can be fun....) If you've ever been to Harry Bear's in Moore or Oklahoma City, and you've had their cheese sticks...THAT is what I'm talking about. Now dinner is done, and we head off for the theater...and in honor of the sacred event, I had purchased blonde wigs for us to wear to the show. (In case there is any doubt, yes, we were a big hit!)

LOVERS OF THE BLONDE ONE - BEWARE. In my humble (albeit most of the time “spot on”) opinion, the musical wasn’t just a little bit off the mark. It missed the mark completely. Everything that makes the movie so wonderful and addictive, the live production is lacking. Just a heads up: The UPS guy is hilarious; Unfortunately, Elle isn’t the one that teaches Paulette the “Bend and Snap”, Serena does; Paulette longs for an Irishman named Brendan because the Irish know how to love and she wants to dance with him without moving her arms – Note/Spoiler: When they introduced this into the story, I was a bit annoyed because I couldn’t figure out where in the world they came up with it, but I will say they redeemed themselves in the end when Paulette meets her dream guy Brendan (the UPS guy) and the entire cast breaks into a routine straight out of Riverdance – quite hilarious!; and my biggest problem with it was the theme song, which opened the show, closed the show, and then just in case you missed it, it was exclaimed by the entire cast as the very last line of the show – “Ohmigod You Guys”. Just be aware that if you don’t have an artsy appreciation for using the Lord’s name in vain, you might not want to see the show. But certainly, if your curiosity is just getting the best of you, by all means, go - but sit in the cheap seats. (And as a side note for those who might be wondering, I absolutely kept my disappointment completely under control, all the while maintaining my 'bounce and sparkle'. Snaps for the Princess!) Here’s a shot of “Team Fabulous” in our golden blonde tresses…Jealous, aren’t you? So, even though the show disappointed, Kimmy and I had a GREAT time - between work and family, it was great to have some girl time with her.

Ok, I’m off for now – You’ll be hearing from me again very soon!

The Princess

2 comments:

Pam said...

Okay girl. I saw your post on Facebook about linking to your blog. So I thought ... Rhonda's blogging! Me too! So come by sometime and I will link to you when I get my act together!

Kim said...

We'll have to see another one soon to get the stink off us from that one.

At least we had fun girly time!

Big Love, Kim